Tips for Tooth Care: An Ounce of Prevention…
Ben Franklin was the originator of the now-familiar adage, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”, and no truer words have ever been spoken when it comes to tooth care and maintaining good oral hygiene. There are many causes to tooth loss, gum disease, breakage, and decay. Some of them are preventable with basic daily care like regular brushing and flossing and routine professional cleanings. Barring accidents and genetics, people can keep their teeth a lifetime with regular professional care and proper home care. Keep these tips in mind to maintain your best smile:
- Brush your teeth, tongue, and gums at least two times per day. Always start on the inside first. Brushing cleans 3 of the 5 sides of a tooth.
- Floss at least once per day. Flossing cleans the other 2 sides brushing misses.
- Avoid or minimize your consumption of tobacco, coffee, tea, red wine, and other foods that can stain and discolor your teeth.
- Get regular professional cleanings, x-rays, and check-ups to ensure everything’s in tip-top shape. Check-ups include a cancer exam.
- Listen to your dentist if he or she suggests you visit a specialist like Dr. Stone to address a more complex issue … avoiding cosmetic dentistry problems could make them worse or result in additional problems down the road.
- Dental care can be expensive but cheap dental care can be even more expensive.
Basic tooth care is a simple endeavor. These tooth care tips are meant as a starting point and a guide for regular maintenance. You can make a difference in your smile by adhering to these general practices and keeping an eye on your oral hygiene and health. Dr. Stone is available to consult on questions and concerns you have to make your smile all that it can be. Request an Appointment today to learn more.