- Tooth injury may be caused by a fall, an accident, tooth grinding, or even chewing on a hard object like a pencil
- Genetic conditions, like Hypodontia, where teeth don’t form
- Chronic conditions like diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and even menopause that trigger risks associated with tooth loss
- Poor diet that includes too much sugar or highly acidic foods that cause tooth erosion
- Bacteria that cause gum disease and, ultimately, tooth loss
- Some medications and drugs can create conditions that lead to tooth loss
Because tooth loss is sometimes out of our control, we have to find ways of replacing missing teeth.
When and Why to Look for Dental Implant Alternatives
Dental Implants are a wonderful option for replacing missing teeth, but they’re not an option for everyone.
There are some risk factors to consider that may adversely affect the outcome of a Dental Implant procedure:
- Low jaw bone density
- Age 60 or over
- Radiation or chemotherapy
- Low estrogen levels
- Gum disease
- Excessive alcohol use
- Poorly controlled diabetes
Sometimes cost is a factor when considering alternatives to tooth implants, especially when several teeth need replacing. Fortunately, there are excellent and cost effective choices available.
Dental Implant Alternatives
Dentures, Dental Bridges and All on 4 Implants are each good alternatives to Dental Implants. Dentures not only replace lost teeth, they can also improve the look of your entire facial structure. The process for making dentures is non-invasive and less expensive than Dental Implants. Dental Implants last a long time, and so do dentures.
Dental Bridges fill the space where a tooth is missing by anchoring it in place between two missing teeth …’bridging the gap.’ Bridges are another cost effective and non-invasive alternative to Dental Implants.
All on 4s are a combination of Dental Implants and dentures. All on 4s use Dental Implants to anchor a full set of dentures on to the upper or lower jaw. They are permanent, last a life time and are less costly than having to replace a full set of teeth with Dental Implants.
How to Decide on Dental Implant Alternatives
A complimentary consultation is the first step in deciding which option is best for you.
Dr. Stone is a Prosthodontist who has practiced cosmetic dentistry in Ft. Lauderdale since 1979. He works with his office staff and on-site laboratory staff to ensure that each patient gets the best care and finest outcomes.